We have detected that you are using Ad Blocking Technology. Please disable your ad blocker to access PCH sites.
(Sponsored Ads keep us free!)
To disable Adblock Plus, simply click the icon on the top right hand corner of this page and uncheck the “Enabled on this site” section and revisit or refresh this page. If using an alternative ad blocker, please either disable while on this site or whitelist our sites.
PCHtipsCategoriesView All categories
Tips for Living Longer
Tips for Living Longer
Growing older is a fact of life, but you don't have to sit back and wait while it happens. Instead, try doing everything in your power to stay healthy and lead an active, satisfying life so you can enjoy every minute you've got on this planet and possibly extend your stay! Here are some tips for living longer, according to WebMD.
1. Protect your DNA. The ends of our chromosomes (called telomeres) become shorter with age, making some people more prone to diseases. Lifestyle changes like a balanced diet and exercise have been proven to produce an enzyme which lengthens and protects telomeres - so get going!
2. Be more conscientious and work to improve things like your relationships and career.
3. Eat healthy foods. The more fresh, natural foods you eat, the more likely you won't have any diet-related illnesses or complications. This includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy oils and fish.
4. Be social. Having plenty of friends can make you happier, and multiple studies have shown a correlation between social connections and longevity.
5. Don't smoke! Each cigarette you indulge in increases your chances of living a shorter life.
6. Embrace the afternoon nap. Since stress levels can increase your risk of certain life-shortening diseases, taking a nap to relax can help you live longer.
7. Lose weight if you need to, as belly fat and extra pounds can put you at risk for many life-threatening conditions. WebMD suggests eating more fiber and exercising to do so.
8. Be proactive when it comes to safety. Whether it's wearing a bike helmet or buckling up in the car, you're doing yourself a favor by staying safe.
9. Get plenty of sleep. Your body and mind will both thank you for the rest.
10. Be happy! The more you love your life, the better you can make it for yourself.